Welcome to Year 1
Teacher – Miss Roberts Teacher - Mrs Rider
Teaching Assistant – Mrs Gibson Teaching Assistant - Miss Parkinson
Learning Support Assistant - Mr Roberts
- Homework will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Outdoor PE is on Thursdays and indoor PE is on a Friday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will be changing reading books four times per week (Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday). Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home.
This half term our topic is Great Journeys. We will explore journeys of all kinds, including how people get around now and how they travelled in the past. In science, we will be looking at materials. The children will explore materials such as wood, plastic, metal, glass and fabric, through a variety of experiments. Children will design their own boat and think about what materials would be most suitable in order to keep it afloat!
This half term we will continue learning about:
- Telling the time to o’clock and half past.
- Addition and subtraction of numbers under 20 using a number line.
- Counting on and back to 100 in 2s, 5s and 10s.
Children will continue to explain and reason about a given outcome using their understanding of number and mathematical language.
In English, we will be looking at The Great Explorer by Chris Judge. The book follows the adventures of Tom. We will be imitating, innovating and then inventing our own adventure.
We will be continuing learning about different aspects of grammar. Children will learn to identify words with an ing, ed, er suffix, separate the root word and discuss why a specific suffix is used, e.g., Tom climbed into the boat. Tom started walking faster. Children will learn about the uses of capital letters: for names of people, places, the days of the week, and the personal pronoun ‘I’.
In Year 1, the children are continuing to apply their phonics to their spelling and learning alternate graphemes (different letters that spell the same sound). The spellings that the children complete will focus on phases 3-5 phonemes and appropriate tricky words. A lot of the children are now focussing on choosing the correct letters to represent the sound in a word using word family mats when they are writing.
In Year 1, the children learn a range of spelling rules. These include:
- Days of the week
- Common exception words
- Words containing phase 3, 4 and 5 sounds.
- Words with suffixes – er, est, ed, ing, ment, ness, y
- Common exception words (list in reading record)
By the end of Year 1, the children should be forming their letters from the correct starting point. We will be focussing on doing this with capital letters this half term and also moving onto ensuring that the children’s ‘tall’ letters and the letters that finish below the line are in the right place.
Please see below the attached document on helping your child to read: