Welcome to Year 1
Teacher – Miss E Meade Teacher - Mrs S Rider
Teaching Assistant – Mrs C Gibson Teaching Assistant - Miss A Parkinson
Learning Support Assistant - Miss C Hollinshead
- Homework will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Outdoor PE is on Tuesdays and indoor PE is on a Monday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will be changing reading books on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home. Year 1 children need to become fluent readers so your child may be asked to re-read a book again.
This half term our topic is Autumn and Winter. We will talk about month order and pick out the months that are in the seasons autumn and winter. We will look at the change in day length and other signs of autumn as well as making autumn artwork both inside and outside of school. We will find out about the work of Andy Goldsworthy to inspire us for this.
We will talk about animals and how they adapt to cope with the autumn and winter weather.
We will compare the seasons autumn and winter and say what is the same and what is different about them.
We will make Christmas themed finger puppets in Design and Technology lessons and plan, design and evaluate our designs.
This half term we are learning about fractions and introducing the children to the words ‘multiply’ and ‘divide’ by talking about ‘lots of’ and ‘shared by.’ To help your child at home, you could encourage them to group objects (coins/toys/counters) and count the number of groups and how many are in each group – ‘3 lots of 5 are 15’
We are focussing on counting back from 100 to 0 in 1s and starting to count on and back in 5s. You can support your child by continuing to practise counting on and back in tens (using 10p coins if possible) and starting to count on and back in 5s (using 5p coins).
In English, we will be focussing on
- The Gigantic Turnip, Aleksei Tolstoy & Niamh Sharkey
- After the storm, Nick Butterworth
The text types that we will be writing are traditional tales and poetry. We will be focussing on writing capital letters in the correct place.
In phonics, some children will be recapping Phases 2, 3 and 4. Most children will be learning the new Phase 5 sounds.
Please support your child by practising their spellings with them using the ideas in the front of their spelling book.
Please see below the attached document on helping your child to read: