Welcome to Year 2
Teacher – Mrs S Wright Teacher - Miss S Lewsley
Teaching Assistant – Miss J Saddow Teaching Assistants - Miss D Charalambous/
Miss H West
Learning Support Assistant - Mr A Roberts Learning Support Assistant - Miss C Best
2Y's blog posts are at the bottom of the page.
- Homework will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Indoor PE is on Tuesdays and outdoor PE is on a Thursday or Friday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will be changing reading books four times per week. Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home. Please read as much as possible at home with your child. Ask them questions about their book to check their understanding and discuss any unknown vocabulary.
This half term our topic is ‘The Seaside’. We will be locating seaside resorts around the UK using atlases and maps. We will also be comparing a seaside resort in the UK with a seaside resort abroad. Please feel free to share any seaside items you may have at home.
We will be focusing on the following vocabulary:
harbour, beach, sea, port, coast, cliff
In science we will be learning about plants. We will investigate what conditions a seed needs to germinate. We will make predictions, observe the plants as they grow and change, and record our findings.
This half term we will be continuing to revisit a lot of our learning from throughout the year. Some things to be practising at home are the 2, 5 and 10 times tables, finding different ways to pay for the same amount and finding change from £1.
In English, we will looking at a story called The Lighthouse Keeper's Lunch and eventually writing our own version of the story.
We will also look at the seaside poetry of Brenda Williams.
Her website can be found here.
We are continuing to encourage the children to include a range of Year 2 grammar features in their writing including different sentence types, apostrophes and a range of conjunctions. The different sentence types are: Statement – giving information e.g. the dog is brown and beautiful. Question – asking for information e.g. why are you so sad? Exclamation – showing extreme emotion and begins with ‘how’ or ‘what’ e.g. what a fluffy sheep that is! Command – telling someone to do something e.g. wash your hands in the sink.
In Year 2, the children will continue to learn a range of spelling rules. These include:
- Adding suffixes - ment, ness. e.g. enjoyment, darkness.
- Words ending in –al/il e.g. Pedal, metal, pencil.
- Continuing to learn the Year 2 Common Exception Words.
- Spelling homophones: e.g. sea, see, know, no. night, knight.
To learn more about the Y2 SATs click here.
Please see the attached document about supporting your child with reading:
Monday 10th July
In English, we looked at some of Brenda Williams's poems.
We thought that they rhymed really well and we talked about what we liked and disliked about them.
In Topic, we found seaside resorts on a map of the UK and placed them on our own map.
Tuesday 11th July
In English, we highlighted seaside vocabulary to make a word bank so that we have lots of ideas when we write our own poems.
In Maths, we have been making board games to share with Year 1 next week. We used addition and subtraction up to 20 and we used halves and doubles.
We also used our knowledge of number, addition, subtraction and pattern to find out about 2 digit numbers.