Welcome to Year 6
Teacher - Mr C Sheldon Teacher - Miss T Roper
Teaching Assistant - Mrs M Hall Teaching Assistant - Miss S Moghaddam
To learn more about the new Y6 SATs click here.
- Homework timetables are in your child’s reading record. These are the days that homework is expected to be returned to school.
- Your child is expected to read a minimum of five times per week. They are expected to write three child comments about what they have learned when reading or 5 words they have used their breakdown strategies with. They should read two times per week to an adult and an adult should then write a comment in the record.
- Outdoor games or indoor PE:
- 6B – Outdoor games: Monday, Indoor PE: Tuesday
- 6Y – Outdoor games: Wednesday, Indoor PE: Monday
Please ensure your child has the correct kit in school on both days.
This half term our topic will be ‘High Voltage’.
We will be learning about how electricity is made and the different energy sources used to create electricity in our geography lessons. We will also use mapping skills to locate the different types of power stations around the UK.
In science, we will be learning how to create different types of circuits and how voltage affects different components in our circuits. Children will then use their knowledge to create circuits for their illuminations in D&T.
We will be continuing to design and make illuminations inspired by Blackpool illuminations with Mrs Berry. We will learn about the history of Blackpool illuminations and visit Blackpool on 3rd November.
In RE we will continue to look at the big question ‘What do religions say to us when life gets hard?’ Through this question we will be comparing different beliefs about what happens when someone dies.
In English we will be learning how to write explanation texts before moving onto fiction writing. Watch out for the whole class texts or story maps of the texts we are learning!
We will be focusing on fractions, decimals and percentages this half term. Please remember
children can use ‘My Maths’ at home, which includes interactive lessons.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: