Welcome to Year 6
Teacher - Mr C Sheldon Teacher - Miss T Roper
Teaching Assistant - Mrs M Hall Teaching Assistant - Miss S Moghaddam
To learn more about the new Y6 SATs click here.
- Homework timetables are in your child’s reading record. These are the days that homework is expected to be returned to school.
- Your child is expected to read a minimum of five times per week. They are expected to write three child comments about what they have learned when reading or 5 words they have used their breakdown strategies with. They should read two times per week to an adult and an adult should then write a comment in the record.
- Outdoor games or indoor PE:
- 6B – Outdoor games: Monday Indoor PE: Tuesday
- 6Y – Outdoor games: Wednesday Indoor PE: Monday
Please ensure your child has the correct kit in school on both days.
This half term our topic is entitled ‘High Voltage’. The topic begins with a focus on influential inventors and inventions, including Thomas Edison, Steve Jobs and the World Wide Web. The children become inventors and create their own imaginary invention.
In art, we will start by looking at the life and work of Leonid Afremov and create paintings inspired by his work.
We will then design and make illuminations inspired by Blackpool illuminations with our art specialist, Mrs Berry. We will learn about the history of Blackpool illuminations and visit Blackpool in our first week back in November.
In science we will be learning about light. We will learn about how our eye works and investigate how light travels. Later on in the half term, we will begin to learn about electricity.
In RE we will be exploring the big question ‘What do religions say to us when life gets hard?’ Through this question we will be comparing different beliefs about what happens when someone dies.
In English, we will be writing biographies about famous inventors before moving onto poetry about autumn, learning about imagery in poetry. We will finish the poetry unit by writing our own poems about Halloween and Bonfire Night.
In maths, we will be focussing on number. We will learn about place value in larger numbers before moving to addition and subtraction methods and problem solving.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: