Welcome to Year 1
Teacher – Miss E Meade Teacher - Miss E Hollinshead
Teaching Assistant – Mrs C Gibson Teaching Assistant - Miss A Parkinson
- Homework and spellings will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Outdoor PE is on Wednesday for 1B and Monday for 1Y, and indoor PE is on a Thursday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will be changing reading books on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home. Year 1 children need to become fluent readers so your child may be asked to re-read a book again.
This half term our topic is Autumn and Winter. We will talk about month order and pick out the months that are in the seasons of autumn and winter. We will look at the change in day length and other signs of autumn as well as making autumn artwork, both inside and outside of school. We will find out about the work of Andy Goldsworthy to inspire us for this.
We will talk about animals and how they adapt to cope with the autumn and winter weather.
We will compare the seasons autumn and winter and say what is the same and what is different about them.
This half term we are learning about place value. Try to encourage your child to recognise numbers around them and say how many tens and ones are in each number. Talk about them in relation to other numbers e.g. 53 has 5 tens and 3 ones. It is more than 20 but less than 60. We will also be looking at shape. As well as naming 2D and 3D shapes the children will use the terms straight, curved, side, edge and face. They will be using their knowledge of shape to reason and draw conclusions e.g. ‘part of this shape is covered. What shape could it be? How do you know? How do you know that this shape is not a circle?’
In English, we will be focussing on
- The Gigantic Turnip by Aleksei Tolstoy & Niamh Sharkey
- After the storm by Nick Butterworth
The text types that we will be writing are traditional tales and poetry. We will be focussing on writing capital letters in the correct place.
In Phonics, some children will be recapping phases 2, 3 and 4. Most children will be learning the new phase 5 sounds.
Please see below the attached document on helping your child to read: