Welcome to Year 1
Teacher – Miss E Meade Teacher - Mrs S Rider
Teaching Assistant – Mrs C Gibson Teaching Assistant - Miss A Parkinson
Learning Support Assistant - Miss C Hollinshead
- Homework will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Outdoor PE is on Tuesdays and indoor PE is on a Monday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will be changing reading books on a Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home. Year 1 children need to become fluent readers so your child may be asked to re-read a book again.
This half term our topic is Spring and Summer. We will be learning about the weather in spring and summer and measuring the rain and the wind using a rain gauge and making and using a wind vane.
We will be continuing our learning about the seasons, comparing day length in spring and summer to day length in autumn and winter. We will also be growing our own bean plants and observing the changes in them, as well as learning the names of common flowering plants.
This half term we will be learning about:
- Reading and writing the numbers 1-100 and counting in 2s and 5s.
- 2D and 3D shapes and describing their properties.
- Addition and subtraction calculations and problems with numbers up to 20.
- Finding one quarter of shapes and quantities.
In English we will be imitating, innovating and inventing the story of Jack and the Beanstalk. We will be making bird feeders and writing instructions on how to make them. We will also write information texts about spring and summer plants.
In Year 1, the children are continuing to apply their phonics to their spelling and learning alternate graphemes (different letters that spell the same sound).
The spellings that the children complete will focus on phases 3-5 phonemes and appropriate tricky words.
A lot of the children are now focussing on choosing the correct letters to represent the sound in a word using word family mats when they are writing.
By the end of Year 1, the children should be forming their letters from the correct pre-cursive starting point (on the line), to prepare them for cursive handwriting in Year 2. We will be focussing on developing their pre-cursive handwriting and ensuring that capital letters are not joined and are ‘taller’ than most lower case letters.
Please see below the attached document on helping your child to read: