Welcome to Year 6
Teacher - Mr C Sheldon Teacher - Miss A Gosling
Teaching Assistant - Miss N Welsby Teaching Assistant - Miss S Moghaddam
To learn more about the new Y6 SATs click here.
- Homework timetables are in your child’s reading record. These are the days that homework is expected to be returned to school.
- Your child is expected to read a minimum of five times per week. They are expected to write three child comments about what they have learned when reading or 5 words they have used their breakdown strategies with. They should read two times per week to an adult and an adult should then write a comment in the record.
- Outdoor games or indoor PE:
- 6B – Outdoor games: Monday, Indoor PE: Tuesday
- 6Y – Outdoor games: Wednesday, Indoor PE: Monday
Please ensure your child has the correct kit in school on both days.
This half term our topic is entitled ‘Magnificent Mayans’ which focuses on the mysteries of the Mayan civilisation. The children will learn about who the Mayans were, where they lived, what they believed in and their impact on the modern world. A drama specialist will also take the children on a journey through this interesting civilisation in an exciting drama session
We will also learn about Central America today and compare this to a locality in the UK. In DT lessons, we will be researching, designing and creating Mayan masks and will also look at Mayan diet by making some of their staple dishes.
In science, we will be continuing with our work on the human body. We will enhance our understanding by making working models of both the respiratory system and the digestive system.
In RE we will be continuing to explore the big question ‘should religion be expressed through arts and architecture or charity and generosity?’ The unit focuses on Islam and Christianity and explores religious buildings, art and the importance of charity in both faiths.
In English, we will be consolidating our understanding of SPAG terminology in preparation for the SATs. We will begin to look at the art of persuasion by aiming to encourage people to recycle and will follow this up by trying to persuade people to eat more healthily. We will also revisit explanation texts and non-chronological reports through our topic lessons.
In maths this half term, we will be revisiting and consolidating many of the areas we have already covered in preparation for SATs.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: