Welcome to Year 5
Teacher - Miss A Gooderham Teacher - Mr J Kearney
Teaching Assistant - Mrs L Bamford Teaching Assistant - Miss R Gilligan
- Homework will be given out on Thursdays and must be returned by Thursday the following week. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- PE days: 5Y - Wednesday and Friday, 5B - Tuesday and Thursday Please ensure your child has shorts, tshirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will change reading books once your child has finished their book. Your child should read at home 5 times a week. Of those 5 times, we hope they can read with an adult at least twice.
This half term our topic is Inspirational People. We will be focussing on:
- Identifying locations of inspirational people from around the world,
- Creating poetry based on quotes from inspirational people,
- Chronologically ordering a timeline based on events from a person’s life,
- Looking at the lives of Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela and Mahatma Gandhi.
In English, we will be focussing on writing a biography and writing in role. We will be looking at:
- The unknown words from our class text,
- The importance of chronological order in biographies,
- Using expanded noun phrases,
- Writing in the third person,
- Writing in a range of tenses,
- Using and understanding causal conjunctions,
- Using and understanding subordinating conjunctions.
In maths this half term, we will be focusing on:
- Metric measurement
- Decimal values
- Converting fractions, decimals and percentages
- Fractions of amounts
We will be focusing on living things, their habitats and human development. The areas we will be covering are:
· Reproduction in plants and animals
· Life cycles of mammals, amphibians, insects and birds
· Learning about key biologists who study animals.
· The six stages of human development
· Life expectancy in different animals
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: