Welcome to Year 5
Teacher - Miss A Gooderham Teacher - Mr J Kearney
Teaching Assistant - Mrs L Bamford Teaching Assistant - Miss N Welsby
- Homework will be given out on Thursdays and must be returned by Thursday the following week. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- PE days: 5Y - Wednesday and Friday, 5B - Tuesday and Thursday Please ensure your child has shorts, tshirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will change reading books once your child has finished their book. Your child should read at home 5 times a week. Of those 5 times, we hope they can read with an adult at least twice.
This half term our topic is Mexico. We will be focussing on:
- Locating Mexico and cities on a map
- Understanding weather and climate
- Understanding why people visit Mexico
- Understanding the origins of the Mexican flag
- ‘Day of the Dead’ celebrations
- Creating piñatas
In English, we will be focussing on writing a newspaper report based on Day of the Dead celebrations linked to our class topic Mexico. We will be looking at:
- The features of a newspaper report
- Researching Day of the Dead
- Punctuating quotations
- Understanding direct and indirect speech
- Identifying and using fronted adverbials
- Using captions correctly
- Using different clauses: relative clauses
- Understanding what proper nouns are and punctuating them correctly.
In maths this half term, we will be focusing on:
- Converting measurement
We will be focusing on properties and changes of materials. The areas we will be covering are:
- Changes of state: Solid, liquid and gas
- Identifying everyday uses of materials
- Understanding why some materials dissolve in liquids
- Understanding that when materials dissolve, they form a solution
- Understanding reversible and irreversible changes and give examples.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: