Welcome to Year 5
Teacher - Mr J Tatlow Teacher - Mr J Kearney
Teaching Assistants - Mrs A Fitzpatrick/ Teaching Assistant - Miss R Gilligan
Mrs R Hare
- Homework will be given out on Thursdays and must be returned by Thursday the following week. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- PE days: 5Y – Tuesday and Wednesday, 5B - Monday and Thursday. Please ensure your child has shorts, t-shirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will change reading books once your child has finished their book. Your child should read at home 5 times a week. Of those 5 times, we hope they must read with an adult at least twice. Please ensure they write down any tricky or unknown words in their books.
This half term our topic is the Industrial Revolution. We will be focussing on:
- Understanding why the Industrial Revolution was important.
- What changes occurred during it.
- Understanding the conditions during the Industrial Revolution.
- Jobs that children had during that time.
- How life was different then compared to now.
In English, we will be focussing on writing a non-chronological report based on Victorian workhouses, linked to our class book Street Child. We will be looking at:
- The features of a report
- Researching workhouses
- Punctuating direct speech
- Identifying and using fronted adverbials
- Identifying the differences between standard and non-standard English.
- Using different sentence types: compound and complex sentences.
- Understanding what proper nouns are and punctuating them correctly.
In maths this half term, we will be focusing on:
- Place value
- Ordering and comparing numbers to a million
- Negative numbers
- Rounding any number up to a million
- Rounding to the nearest 10, 1000 and 1,000
- Counting in 10s, 100s, 1,000s, 10,000s
We will be focusing on Earth and Space. The areas we will be covering are:
· Describing the movement of the Earth and other planets in relation to the sun.
· Describe why the earth rotates
· Why we have day and night
· Describing the movement of the moon in relation to the earth.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: