Welcome to Year 5
Teacher - Miss A Gooderham Teacher - Mr J Kearney
Teaching Assistant - Mrs L Bamford Teaching Assistant - Miss R Gilligan
- Homework will be given out on Thursdays and must be returned by Thursday the following week. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- PE days: 5Y - Wednesday and Friday, 5B - Tuesday and Thursday Please ensure your child has shorts, tshirt, trainers and something warm for outdoor PE such as a tracksuit.
- We will change reading books once your child has finished their book. Your child should read at home 5 times a week. Of those 5 times, we hope they can read with an adult at least twice.
This half term our topic is Vikings. We will be focussing on:
- Understanding who the Vikings were
- Locating where they came from and why they came to Britain
- Understanding why they attacked Lindisfarne
- Researching and making notes to report on a Viking attack
- Understanding Viking beliefs
In English, we will be focussing on writing a narrative poem and a diary entry linked to our class text The Visitor. We will be looking at:
- The unknown words from the poem
- Identifying the features of a narrative poem
- Writing in the past tense and first person
- Using adverbials of time
- Brackets and dashes for parenthesis
- Sentence starters – verbs and adverbs
- Relative clauses
- Rhyming words
In maths this half term, we will be focussing on:
- Statistics: Solve comparison sum and difference problems using information presented in a line graph
- Geometry: Identifying shapes and angles
- Geometry: Reflection, rotation and translation.
We will be focussing on living things and their habitats. The areas we will be covering are:
- Reproduction in plants and animals
- Life cycle of mammals, amphibians, insects and birds
- Learning about key biologists who study animals.
Please see the attached document on how to support your child/children with reading: