Welcome to Year 3
Teacher- Mrs J Wilson/Mrs S Wright Teacher - Mr A Litchfield
Teaching Assistant – Mrs C Iddin Teaching Assistant - Mr S Jensen
- Homework will be given out on Friday and must be returned by Wednesday. If your child needs help with their homework, please speak with their class teacher before the return day.
- Please ensure your child has their PE kit in school at the beginning of the week. They must have shorts and a t-shirt for indoor PE and trainers and a warm tracksuit for outdoor PE. No earrings are allowed to be worn during PE.
- We change reading books four times per week. Please ensure that you have left a comment in the reading record each time your child reads at home. Please read as much as possible at home with your child. Ask them questions about their book to check their understanding and discuss any unknown vocabulary.
This half term our topic is Manchester. We will be finding out about the city we live in by researching buildings, famous people, and using maps to locate where we live and famous landmarks. We will be visiting The Lowry and studying the work of L.S. Lowry.
In science we will be learning about forces and magnets. We will be investigating how things move on different surfaces, and observe how magnets attract or repel each other and which materials are magnetic.
This half term we will be reading, writing, ordering and comparing numbers from 0-1000. We will begin to add and subtract 3 digit numbers using partitioning and the column method. The children will have a times table challenge on Tuesdays, so please help them to learn their 2, 5, 10 and 4 times tables off by heart.
In English, we will be reading ‘Wonder Goal’ by Michael Foreman. The children will be learning some of the text through Talk for Writing. They will be focussing on extending their vocabulary and using it to write descriptively. They will also be continuing to use a range of punctuation in their writing: ! ? , .
We will also be learning about information texts as part of our topic on Manchester. We will be examining a range of tourist information leaflets and will use these to help us write our own information leaflet on Manchester. If you have time, visit the city centre and explore some of the famous landmarks e.g. Manchester Town Hall and Library, Chinatown, John Ryland’s Library.
In Year 3, the children will continue to learn a range of spelling rules. These include:
· Spelling words with suffixes ‘ed’, ‘ing’, ‘s’, ‘es’, ‘er’.
· Spelling words with prefixes ‘un’, ‘dis’, ‘mis’ and ‘re’.
· To spell contracted words. Eg ‘Won’t’.
· To spell some of the Year 3 and 4 Common Exception Words.
· To spell homophones: brake/break, grate/great, ate/eight, weight/wait, son/sun.
There will be a weekly spelling test every Friday. Please help your child to learn their spellings.
Please see the attached document for help in supporting your child/children with reading: